Last Update on December 22, 2014 08:06 GMT
HONOLULU (AP) -- Is the hacking of Sony an act of terrorism? It's a decision the White House has to make as it tries to figure out what to do in response to the attack, which it has blamed on North Korea. President Barack Obama says the United States is reviewing whether to put North Korea back on its list of state sponsors of terrorism. The president calls the hacking of the movie studio an "act of cybervandalism" -- as opposed to an act of war. Meanwhile, Sony is promising to release "The Interview" -- the movie that launched the entire international incident. The comedy involves a plot to assassinate North Korea's leader.
NEW YORK (AP) -- Roselyn Sanchez says she understands how some people feel Sony's cancellation of the release of "The Interview" makes it look like the company and the country is "giving in" to a cyberattack. But the actress feels the most important thing is "safety first." As for those who feel that "The Interview" should be released no matter what to defy demands by the hackers, she says people should remember "this is just a movie, guys." Ryan Guzman says the invasion of privacy the Sony hacking caused "is a little bit crazy." But he says he doesn't have much to say on the subject except that he wishes "the hackers wouldn't do what they are doing."
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The GOP says the best way to respond to the Sony hack -- is to buy a ticket to the movie "The Interview." The Republican party says supporters should buy a ticket to the movie -- if theater owners decide to show the film. In a letter to theater chain executives, GOP chief Reince Priebus (ryns PREE'-bus) says he's worried that a foreign government like North Korea is being allowed to decide which movies Americans can and can't watch. Priebus says while Hollywood and the Republican party have had their differences, the situation over "The Interview" is a matter of freedom and free enterprise.
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- It isn't just Kim Jong Un. The North Korean leader is not the only world figure who has been targeted for being bumped off in some kind of crazy Hollywood plot. Others who have been targeted by Hollywood films include Queen Elizabeth II, Saddam Hussein and Pope Pius XIII. But unlike "The Interview," those other movies actually made it to the big screen. Sony has pulled "The Interview" in the face of threats by hackers. The White House has blamed the attack on North Korea.
UNDATED (AP) -- It was a comedy that led to the whole Sony hacking to begin with. So is it poor taste to be cracking wise about the situation? So far, the answer seems to be "no." One of the first to mine the situation for comedy is Chris Rock. In promoting his movie "Top Five," Rock noted his movie was "very Korean-friendly" -- and that "there are no jokes about North Korea." It was Rock who, during an appearance on "Saturday Night Live" this fall, took pokes at making jokes about the 9/11 attacks and the Boston Marathon bombing. And this past weekend, SNL did a bit on "The Interview" controversy. One expert on the way the entertainment industry works suggests that some comedians are shying away from the issue because they don't want to become targets themselves.
Bobby Moynihan portrayed North Korean leader Kim Jong-un on a Saturday Night Live skit. COURTESY: NBC's "Saturday Night Live" ((mandatory on-air credit))
<<CUT ..006 (12/22/14)>> 00:14 "out of here"
Bobby Moynihan portrayed Kim Jong-un on a Saturday Night Live skit, saying he wasn't going to bow to North Korean threats, as fake lazer targets trained on his chest. COURTESY: NBC's "Saturday Night Live" ((mandatory on-air credit))
<<CUT ..007 (12/22/14)>> 00:12 "it to January"
Mike Myers reprised the role of "Austin Powers" villain Dr. Evil, joking that the leader of North Korea should have something better to do than try to kill a movie that poked fun at him. COURTESY: NBC's "Saturday Night Live" ((mandatory on-air credit))
NEW YORK (AP) -- With Sony putting "The Interview" on the shelf for now, the attention turns to the movies that are actually being released. The top one this past weekend -- "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies." It took in $56.2 million over the weekend. It has pulled in $90 million plus opening on Wednesday. Number two is "Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb." It took in just $17.3 million, well off the debut pace of previous versions of the movie franchise. Last week's top movie, "Exodus: Gods and Kings" was bumped all the way down to fourth, with just $8.1 million. The Fox release saw 67 percent of its week-one take burn off during week two.
There's no North Korea in Middle Earth. The AP's Jamie Friar reports movie-goers aren't staying home in the wake of terrorist threats against movie theaters.
<<CUT ..003 (12/22/14)>> 00:10 "no they won't"
Sound of Martin Freeman and Ian McKellan
Sound of Martin Freeman and Ian McKellan in a scene from "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies," the number-one movie at the box office this weekend.
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- He portrayed a person revered as America's dad. But these days, for Bill Cosby -- mum's the word. He has gone silent in the face of numerous allegations of sexual assault. And legal experts suggest that may be the best he can do at this point. While the public may be clamoring for Cosby to defend himself, Eugene Volokh of UCLA says speaking out may be the only thing to keep him from saying something that might be libelous. If that happens, Cosby could open himself up to new legal problems .
SONY HACK - ADMINISTRATION RESPONSE
HONOLULU (AP) -- Is the hacking of Sony an act of terrorism?
ASSAULT RIFLE SANTA
CHICO, Calif. (AP) -- Santa's armed -- and that has some people upset in Northern California.
US home sales dropped sharply in November
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Fewer Americans bought homes in November as buying slid to its slowest pace in six months.
WEST PALM BEACH, FL -- (Marketwired) -- 03/21/14 --
Companies that pride themselves on being eco-friendly may have conflicted
ideas between marketing with ad specialties and maintaining their green
IN THE NEWS: NYPD KILLER RANTED ONLINE BEFORE SHOOTING
NEW YORK (AP) -- New York City's police commissioner says the gunman who killed two police officers had made online posts that were "very anti-police."
c 2013 WLYH CW15 is licensed and owned by Sinclair Broadcasting Group, Inc. All Rights Reserved.